Data Visualization: The Story of a Great Story Teller
The world today is driven by data, lots of data. So what do we do with all that data. We make sense out of it. Visualizations are a great way to study your data. A great visualization can tell a whole new story from the data. So is it just any visualization? No. Every data set has it own story and so should have unique story teller.
So What exactly is data visualization? Data visualization, in other words visualization, is the presentation of data in a pictorial or graphical format that helps data scientists and decision makers to map the hidden patterns and make better decisions.
According to Webster, Visualization is:
- Formation of mental visual images.
- Process of interpreting in visual terms or putting into visual form.
So, what is good visualization?
- show the data
- allow the viewer to focus on the substance rather than the methodology, graphic design, technology of the production, etc.
- avoid distorting the data
- present many numbers in a small space
- encourage the eye to compare different pieces of data
- reveal the data at several levels of detail, from a broad overview to the fine structure
- serve a clear purpose: description, exploration, tabulation, or decoration
Computers today, have made it possible to process large amount of data sets. Visualization today is truly an ever evolving blend of art and science.