Preparation Time: 30 mins – 120 mins
Makes: 2-3 pizza bases
Ideal for: Italian date night
Level of Cooking: Medium
2 tablespoon Olive oil
3-4 cups All purpose flour (or maida) or 2 cups All purpose flour and 1 cup Wheat flour
1 teaspoon Active dried yeast
2 cups Water
1 teaspoon Red Chilli Flakes
1 teaspoon Salt
1 teaspoon Italian Seasoning/Dried Basil/Oregano
- Heat 2 cups of water in a bowl. Make sure the water is just warm and not hot.
- Sprinkle 1 teaspoon active dried yeast on the water and let it sit for 5 minutes till the yeast dissolves in water. If the water is too hot or too cold, the yeast will not dissolve.
- Start by adding 2 cups of All Purpose Flour (or 1 cup all purpose flour and 1 cup wheat flour).
- Then add salt and olive oil.
- Add red chilli flakes and oregano. This is optional but this gives the base a good spicy taste.
- Now mix the flour with a dough mixer or by hand.
- Knead the dough till it stops sticking. You might need to add more flour while you knead the dough. This usually takes around 10 minutes and around 1-2 more cups of flour.
- Lightly oil a bowl and keep the dough inside the bowl and cover with a moist cloth or cling film. Set for around 2-3 hours to let the dough rise and double in size.
Note: You can use the dough right away if you want a thin and crispy base. If you want a pan base, hand tossed style base or deep dish base, then keep the dough undisturbed for 2-3 hours and let it rise and double in size.