Preparation Time: 10 hours
Cooking Time: 30 mins
Level of Cooking: Medium
1 cup dry Chickpeas
1/4 cup Sesame Seeds
Salt to taste
1 tablespoon Lemon/Lemon Juice
Red Chilli Powder
Preparing the chickpeas:
- Soak 1 cup of dry chickpeas in water with 1 tablespoon salt overnight.
- Boil the soaked chickpeas in a pressure cooker for about 3-5 whistles or till chickpeas are just tender.
- Drain the chickpeas and put under cold water for about 1 minute. Keep aside.
Preparing the Tahini.
- In a food processor, add sesame seeds and grind for 1-2 minutes or till the seeds form a fine powder.
- Add 1 tablespoon of olive oil and grind again for 1 minute or till a smooth paste. A smooth tahini will make a smooth hummus.
Making the Hummus
- To the tahini, add 1 tablespoon of lime juice, 1 tablespoon of salt (or to taste), 1/2 tablespoon of red chilli powder, 1 tablespoon olive oil.
- Now add the boiled chickpeas in the food processor and add 1-2 tablespoon water.
- Grind for about 1-2 minutes it forms a paste. If the paste is too coarse, add more water (1-2 tablespoon at a time) and grind till a smooth paste is formed.
- Transfer the hummus to a bowl.
- Sprinkle some red chilli powder on the hummus.
- Add some olive oil and garnish with olives.
Enjoy freshly made hummus with pita bread or make pita pockets with salad fillings.